Happy New Year, friends!
We all know resolutions come and go, but here is a suggestion that will benefit you and others … resolve to make a difference in 2012.
- Use your gifts and talents to help and bring joy to others. If you have a gift of music, cooking, or organizing, love children, or you are strong or simply willing to help, use your gifts freely to make a difference.
- Reach out to people who are going through a hard time, and do whatever you can to help them.
- Get engaged civically. 2012 is a presidential election year, and whatever your politics, educate yourself on the issues and get involved. If you have any interest in serving as an election judge (it’s really fun!) contact Deb Little at the City of Northfield. Also, consider serving on a local commission, task force or committee. Maybe you even want to try running for office!
- Give generously and support charities that you believe are worthy. If money is tight, be creative and host a fundraiser or garage sale and donate the proceeds to a charity of your choice. 5th Bridge is proud to offer GOODS FOR GOOD – The Great Northfield Rummage Raid for Charity to support such endeavors. Also, consider donating quality used clothing or household goods to a worthy charity.
- Join or form a Circle of Service. If you are part of a group (friends, confirmation group, family, sports team, employee group, scouts, 4H, Bible study, neighborhood, etc.) that enjoys (or would enjoy)engaging in service projects, register your group as a 5th Bridge Circle of Service by emailing [email protected]. You will find a complete tool kit to help you get started on our website.
- Encourage others to volunteer. Be a mentor and inspiration to someone who doesn’t usually volunteer. One of the three top reasons why people do not volunteer is because “no one asked them.” Invite someone outside of your normal volunteer circles to participate in a project with you. Encourage them to take the volunteer pledge on our website and we will help you to keep them involved so they, too, can experience the wonderful benefits of volunteering.
As you are getting yourself organized for 2012, here are a few dates that you won’t want to miss:
- National Random Acts of Kindness – February 13–19, 2012. Play the Moo Kindness Game on the 5th Bridge website and have fun making people happy. Forward any ideas or a story you may have to [email protected].
- National Volunteer Week – April 15–21, 2012. 5th Bridge partners with the Northfield News to produce a special section which celebrates the dedication of local volunteers or volunteer organizations. If you have any suggestions for the special section, forward them to 5th Bridge.
- 5th Annual 5th Bridge GOODS FOR GOOD – The Great Northfield Rummage Raid for Charity will happen the weekend before Mother’s Day, May 4–5, 2012. Host a sale or refreshment site and raise money for your favorite charity, cause or you own nonprofit organization/team. More info will be available on the 5th Bridge website or you can contact Candy Taylor at 507.581.3017.
- Need a spring, summer or fall service event for your group? Want to enjoy and beautify the outdoors? Then clean up one of the three sections of highway that 5th Bridge has adopted on behalf of local volunteers. We have the safety vests, gloves and garbage bags. All you need is the volunteer labor. (Date/time is flexible.) We are also helping the City of Northfield recruit volunteers to help with City projects. Contact 5th Bridge for more information.
Blessings to you and yours and hopes that you will pledge to make a difference in the coming year!
and your friends at 5th Bridge